Tuesday, February 8

YAYAYAY!!!

Hi all,
One of my I CARE volunteers at Valley Southwoods, Amanda McIntyre, has designed a wonderful project through her ELP to promote self esteem and counter bullying for 4th graders. I have attached her proposal and told her I would share her ideas with you and see if this is something on which we could collaborate.
The program would involve meeting with 4th grade students once a week for about 30 minutes, for 7 weeks. She and her Southwoods/Valley "Team" would be available Tuesdays between 2:25-3:30. This could either be tailored to address ALL your students, or perhaps small groups divided by gender that teachers would recommend, based on "at risk" potential, leadership potential or whatever you decide. (Maybe some of those who complete the program could be encouraged/trained to share with Valley students in presenting it next year to 4th graders?... lots of possibilities for building on this!)
I would be so appreciative if you could read over Amanda's proposal, discuss it with each other and let us know how to proceed.(Amanda's e mail address is the "mandolin" one above) It would be great if we could kick it off by early March.
Thank you SO much for taking the time to consider this. It is a topic about which I am personally very motivated. I know I don't need to convince you about the real need we all have to promote respect and positive relationships among our kids -- of all ages! The earlier we can start changing these damaging patterns, the better....
~ Jane

Jane Deming Scanlon
Community Service Learning Coordinator
Valley High School/Valley Southwoods School


Might I just say, YAY!!!! Alright, peeps, now I need volunteers for this 'team' she must think I already have put together... I know I had Pickle on (Do I still?), but I *do* need some people of the male persuasion to help out, too--people still have cooties in the fourth grade, right?

2 comments:

Pichler said...

You gots me man...it will be awesome...Just a question. Could this possibly count for silver cord? And if it doesn't that's okay I'lls till help.

Pichler said...

Doubley count me in...